Saturday, November 21, 2015

Newcastle Tooth Fairy Saga Continues

You may remember the story about how the ever late Newcastle tooth fairy finally dropped off a £1 in exchange for Maya’s tooth, but somehow managed to lose the tooth on the kitchen floor.

Last night I saw that Maya had left her tooth on her head board with some notes. This is what she had written:

“Dear Tooth fairy, for some strange reason I found my tooth on the kitchen floor. And I wanted to let you know that you can keep the tooth. xx Love xxx Maya.”

There was an arrow pointing to another note, on which she had placed the tooth, it said:
“My tooth is here because I just prefer having it out rather than under my pillow in case it gets lost.”

So I went down to tell Amanda that Maya seems to have lost faith in the tooth fairy being able to find her tooth under her pillow so she’s making it blatantly obvious. Amanda said that the tooth fairy has been extremely busy and tired lately. I asked her to tell that to Maya. So she went up, kissed Maya and told her that the tooth fairy was without a doubt doing to come tonight and do her job.

When Maya fell asleep Amanda came down and asked me what she should do because Maya might recognize her handwriting. I said my hand writing would be so rubbish it would be an immediate give away. So Amanda wrote this note for Maya. She kept it short:

“I was wondering where your tooth went!”
“Sorry, I have been busy. Love, The Tooth fairy”

Then the next day Maya showed me the note and said, “Dad, I’m starting to wonder about this tooth fairy.” I said, “Oh, really? Why?”. She said that the tooth fairy’s hand writing was very much like mom’s. I said, well that’ can’t be right, “I mean look at how small the letters are”. Then she said that she had asked the tooth fairy to leave her a picture of herself so that she could know that it wasn’t Amanda.

So I went down and told Amanda that the tooth fairy needed to show photographic evidence. Maya was starting to get suspicious, which was amazing given all the missteps the Newcastle tooth fairy had made recently.

We were stumped. How do we get a picture of a tooth fairy in a form that Maya would believe.
I improvised. I went on google images and printed out a picture of a cute tooth fairy. Wings and all.

I brought the picture to Maya before she fell asleep and showed it to her. She said, “What is that?”. I said, “Well you asked for a picture of a tooth fairy”. She said, “Dad, I wanted a picture of MY tooth fairy”. 

So I said, “Well this one will have to do, Maya. Isn’t she cute?” trying to distract her.
She laughed. “Yes she’s cute but she has no mouth.” Sheesh, Maya was a stickler for detail! 

So I pulled out a pencil and drew in a small cute mouth on the cute tooth fairy. Maya laughed.


I don’t know if our daughter still believes in tooth fairies. Probably not. I think we blew it and the charade is up. But she does probably sense that her parents will go to great lengths to keep a good story going. 

That might be even greater fun. Here is the picture of Maya's tooth fairy.

No comments: