Thursday, October 22, 2015

10,000 hours

My kids like many others are spending a lot of time in front of a screen. Heck, I'm in front of a screen writing this and my glasses keep getting thicker. So last night to encourage him to do something else I asked Julian if he liked music. He said that he did. I asked him if he loved music. He said yeah, kind of. So I said, that people that dedicate themselves to music or anything else need about 10,000 hours to master their instrument or whatever they want to be good at. We did some simple math and figured out that it takes about 48 years or so if you just do it one hour a week. We also figured that a college student spending 3-4 years of 8 hours a day on their passion will be at close to 10,000 hours by the end. So I asked him what he wanted to spend his 10,000 hours on. Before he could answer Maya jumped in (she had been drawing and evesdropping). She said, "I'll spend my 10,000 hours on art, drawing, ice-cream and candy." Cracks my stuff up. I wonder how many hours I've spent on ice-cream ;-).

No comments: