Sunday, February 8, 2009

Vat is Dis Ridiculous Obsession Vith Freench Fryes AND the Stupid GPS (revisited)

Two things today:
I've realized that French Fries (or however you choose to call them) are to kids what a glass of whiskey is to an alcoholic. See the picture above at Old McDonalds (as the kids call it). Julian is wearing his Elliot the Dragon jacket. That was supposed to be just for Halloween (5 months ago) but he loves it and Amanda and I as parents are ready to shove in the mud anybody that makes fun of our little dragon. But most people really find it fun and we like to see him running because his whole dragon bottom jiggles along with the wings.

The second things is, I don't know if you remember last month Julian reminded me that I should watch what I say. I had called our GPS unit in our car "stupid" and he'd reminded me then and many days later that it's not stupid. By the way GPS is now a standard word in Maya's vocabulary as well...even Amanda wasn't sure what "GPS" stood for but we all recognize it as the talking box that gets us to where we want to go, well, that is at least after 10 or 20 "recalculating" adjustments after Chris continues to miss the turns. But the lady on the GPS says it in such a nice way that it would be more effective for me, I think, if she'd say something like "Yo, DUDE, you missed the turn again, for crying out loud ! I'll see if I can figure out how to get you back on track. AGAIN. " There's a point to this rambling. By now if you're like me you would have forgotten what this whole story is about. Not Julian. Now a month after the original incident last night he got up at 1 am crying in his bed, so I came over to comfort him. He said he wanted me to lay down next to him. Then he got ready for sleep again. I was too tired to move back to our own bed so I decided to stay. Then right before we both passed out Julian said: "Dada, the GPS is not stupid !". What the ????? How the heck does he do that? For myself I can't even remember 5 minutes ago anymore (Alzheimers is setting in) yet they remember "Gee Pee Ess" and stuff that blows me away. I study how the brain supports communication but I should be studying kid's memory. How they remember all of this stuff sometimes with just a single exposure is mindblowing. Oh yeah and also what's addicting about ketchup and french fries.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I for one am glad you allow Julian to wear his dragon suit. He is SO cute in it! I love the way that the wings flap when he jumps.

My guess is that katchup has a lot of high fructose corn syrup, aka kiddie crack.

Jeremy (Hobbsy) said...

Julian's right, you really should be nice to your GPS. It works so hard for you.

Fun post. Great header pic.

The Miller family said...

I love it!!! I don't know how we got by with a prayer and a map on our drives through Europe. GPS is where it is at!

We miss you and hope all is well!