Today was Saturday: fun day at the school next to Julian's kindergarden. Julian had a late nap (3:30 - 6 pm, which means he won't sleep until 10:30 pm and that we're terrible parents). Anyhow, by the time we all got there there were only about 1000 kids left.
Julian and I found a large field where most of those thousand kids were. They were all running around like mad after a soccer ball, pretty much like ants chasing after a bon-bon. My favorite memory of 6th grade was soccer at recess so I though Julian would like to run after the ball a bit. So we dove into the sea of kids and managed to stay alive. Whichever way the ball went we went. We had no team, no loyalty, if a goal was open we'd aim for it and if a big kid got the ball I would dive to protect Julian from getting pelted. I'm growing an Abe Lincoln beard (after seeing my favorite heavy metal band Queensryche sporting them last weekend) so I'm pretty sure I was the only one with facial hair on that field. Julian got to kick the ball a couple of times, but mainly we ran around the field dodging kids, chasing down a ball that didn't want to be caught and laughing all the way. (To get an idea of what that field of kids looked like, click on the title to this post. That's me in the middle with the ball.)
Once he wore me out, I traded with Amanda and took Maya. Maya had the same idea and wanted to run with the kids, but my good senses finally kicked in. It was like trying to convince a house cat that going outside is bad. Finally a man with some loudspeakers saved me by playing polka at the opposite side of the field. Then her disco instincts kicked in. She started twirling in circles and waving her arms in the air. Fortunately the polka stopped and he started playing Bulgarian folk music, of all things. Couldn't believe it.
Bit of a sentimental day for me.
By the way Julian doesn't like chocolate milk and Maya still just wants to walk (especially if there is a steep downhill).
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here's a YouTube video of a Hamster for Julian and Maya, since they're so youtube savvy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeBKHj_WaEY&feature=related
Post a Comment