Monday, February 23, 2015

Maya's Book For Children's Author Delia Ray

Last November I was in Iowa City visiting a neurosurgery group led by Matt Howard. Scientifically it was a wonderful visit and I also got to meet Matt's wife Delia Ray who is a children's author. She has written several books for kids about the age of Maya and Julian. Delia sent me home with one of her latest books called Here Lies Linc. She asked me to read it to my kids and report back what they thought.

We've been reading it the last few months and the kids love it. It captures their imagination that a writer could tell a story about a cemetery mystery revolving around a haunted Black Angel in Oakland Cemetary in Iowa City. They are also mesmerized that their father has met the author.

Last week I was in Iowa City again for work, and I passed a letter to Delia from the kids. Delia and Matt took us to the cemetery at night to see the Black Angel. I attach a picture of me pretending to touch it, but not really touching it in case it is cursed. I don't think Delia is touching the Angel either!

So I came back with the pictures which put some renewed interest in the rest of the book by the kids. Maya was also inspired to write a book for Delia. So I've attached the book here as well. It starts off where Delia's book does but goes in some unpredictable directions (such as Linc and Lottie learning Karate and kicking some ... well, just read it.).

Thank you Delia Ray for inspiring my kids.

If you have a pre-teen, we cannot recommend Delia's books enough for your kids. But what's even more magical is the basis for the stories that Delia writes in the history of Iowa City or other parts of the US where Delia has lived with her family.

Best wishes,
-Chris

Here is a link to Maya's Book for Delia Ray:
https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/chris.petkov/MayasBookForDeliaRay.pdf

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this story! Can't wait to see you guys this summer!
Love
Aunt tammie and uncle Al

The Miller family said...

Did you know that Jamie and I went to the University of Iowa? He went to neurosurgery residency in Indiana, but medical school at Iowa. The black angel is full of legend and myth! :) I will have to check out the book for the girls!

We hope that you are all well. Enjoy watching the kids "virtually" grow up! They are getting so big!