Maya wanted to play Pit, a stock-trading game from the 50's, based on trading and buying grains of the same type (such as 'corn', 'rye' or 'barley'). Amanda used to play it with her grandparents Helen and Ben and her aunt Beverly. She had found it on ebay so snatched it up.
The game is simple, the objective is to collect all of the same type of cards. To do this everyone has to pick any amount of the same type of cards to trade with others, and to collect the winning set of cards with the same type of crop. It's an active trading game, with people saying out numbers of cards that they want to trade, like 'three' 'three' 'three' while they try to find another player willing to trade three cards. This is all going on while everyone is trading as many cards as they want so it's kind of chaotic and a lot of fun, which is why the kids like it.
So feeling that we understood the rules, Maya, Julian and I shuffled the cards and began to play.
Julian started saying 'five' 'five' 'five', while I needed to trade three cards of a crop that I didn't want. Maya took the bait and started matching my 'three' 'three' 'three' so we traded. When I looked at the cards she gave me they were a mixture of grains. She was playing the game by her own rules.
This continued with me complaining that people weren't giving me the same types of cards and playing the game fairly. The kids couldn't care and kept on trying to trade their junk crops away.
Then at some point, as I was looking at my handful of useless cards, getting nowhere closer to matching them all so that I could win, the trading kept going at a frantic pace. Then, out of the blue, Maya throws down her cards and says 'I WON, I WON, I WON, WOOOOOOO WOOOOOOO' pumping her fists up in the air. I look at her cards expecting a full set of matching cards, when I realize she has a mixture of cards.
Meanwhile, as she's hooting and hollering about winning, Julian keeps trading, saying 'six' 'six' 'six' 'six'. So I just threw my cards in the air and declare it the most bizzaro game of Pit I've ever played and the kids a bag full of cheaters.
I love date nights.

No comments:
Post a Comment