My Geordie kids keep cracking me up. They sound so adorable with their thick British accents. I guess they sound a bit American to the kids at school.
My accent on the other hand is not going anywhere, although Amanda and I just passed our Life in the UK exam which means we can apply for permanent residency. The plan is to get permanent right to stay and then a year from now apply for citizenship so that we and the kids can be dual citizens. This (if it works) will make our lives easier in many ways and help the kids to work in Europe if they ever choose to do so.
Anyhow, last night I was reading the kids a bedtime story. I thought I would let one slide past them (if you know what I mean). No siree. Maya said, "Dad something stinks. Did you pump?". I'm like, "What the heck are you talking about? I'm here reading you a story, not pumping gas into the car". Then I corrected myself: "I mean I'm not pumping petrol into the automobile, if that is what you mean." She and Julian laughed. Then they both corrected me. "No dad, pumping is when you toot. Fart." So I tried to change the topic and said, "Look guys I'm not pumping gas. I'm here reading you a story." But then Maya kept insisting. "But dad, it stinks. Did you pump." So I said, "Yes, Maya. I pumped. I'm sorry. Now can we read the story?".
Friday, April 26, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment