Two weeks ago we go the kids new bicycles since they were outgrowing the old ones. Maya has been on Julian's old pedal-less "Laufrad" bike from Germany which means walking bike. The bike was great for Julian because it taught him how to balance on two wheels. Then when we bought him a new bike with stabilizers, he had them on for a day and then asked me to remove them. He then wobbled a bit with me stabilizing him before he was off and riding.
Nearly the same things happened with Maya. Yesterday she asked for her stabilizers to be removed. We wobbled with her a bit. Then she was off, riding on her own. She was so proud when she could stop the bike and not fall off that she would shoot her fists into the air and scream "Woooooo". She's really the funniest girl.
Today mamma sent Julian and me to Stockton to ride in a big bike event for kids. It was great. We got to ride around the river front with hundreds of other kids and their parents. Then we saw some races. It was like being at the Tour de France. Julian loved it. Stockton also has its own man-made white water rapids park. They divert some of the water coming off of the river dam, run it through some diversions that make the water speed up, then the water is piped up to the original level using Archimedes screws.
Anyhow, before we left for Stockton we dropped the girls off at a birthday party. They were going to go to two birthday parties. As Maya left the car, she was a bit upset about something earlier in the morning. I don't remember what it was. Anyhow, Julian said good-bye. Maya said, "Julian, I hope your teeth don't wobble off". Who says things like that? Maya even when crabby ends up being incredibly funny, often without trying.
I'll tell you about a couple of other things, to show you how fun packed our days are.
When we were in the bathroom tonight brushing teeth, Maya decided to sing "sailing" over and over again, with a smirked up face (one eyebrow elevated) and waving her arms imitating the sea. That made me think of the Beyond the sea song, so I started to sing it in the crooniest voice I have. Not that I know the words or anything, so it sounded like this:
"Beyond the sea, somewhere ..... waiting ... (with feeling) .... for .....ME; my mother stands with OPEN ARRRRRRMMMMMS and watches the ships as they go SAILLLLLLL ING." When we got to the sailing part, I smirked up my face, raised an eyebrow and we both waved our arms imitating the sea. Two goof balls sharing 50% of our genes.
Ok, here's the last Maya story for today. When it is time to get into pajamas, the kids like it if I shoot off they socks, shirt and pants. This started many years ago when as babies, they didn't much like the clothes/pajamas changing routine and this trick made it more fun for them (and less of a chore for me). This means that I take the tips of the clothes and when they aren't expecting it I shoot them off "Poooff" the socks fly off. However, trying to shoot off the short, the undies almost flew off too. Maya and Julian thought this was hilarious. We all laughed. Maya found it especially funny then when the biggest fart was made by the smallest girl I know, we were rolling. I'd never laughed so much in my life. Reminded me of the time Aunt Beverly and Grandma Bette laughed so hard together that .... well, never mind.
The kids are the sunshine in our lives. They make us laugh many many many times a day. In a place that gets as little sunshine as England, we thank God that we are blessed with two sparks of life.
Good night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment