Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Swear words: Oh oh

Tonight I was reading Captain Underpants to the kids at bedtime. On one of the pages the story read "The captain shut up the space station's doors", or something like that. Maya said that it was not ok for me to say "shut up" or "stupid" that they were bad words. She also said that there is another word "fug" that was bad. I said oh, well we shouldn't say bad words. She said that her friends (I'll change the names to maintain their anonymity) Lolly and Sally said the bad words quietly in class so that the teacher wouldn't hear them, but that she and her friend Becky didn't.

I asked her why they said these bad words and she said because the girls didn't want to be "sensible". I didn't know what else to do or say so I just changed the topic and kept reading the story. Sheesh. You kind of know this day would come. But you're still surprised when it does.

No comments: